- Founded in 1947 and started out by repairing war-damaged doors and apertures, along with contracts from the British services in Malta and in Libya, where a showroom was eventually set up.
- George Galea and his brothers Louis and Joseph, founded the company and were followed into the business by younger brothers Vincent and Albert.
- 60’s: the brothers were joined by Maurice de Giorgio who brought in new products and expertise to the company.
- Contract License granted from Gomme Industries of the famous G Plan brand to manufacture furniture under the G Plan brand. Several hotel guest room contracts won.
- The product range continued to expand introducing mattresses and Venetian blinds to the portfolio.
- 70’s: another license agreement signed to manufacture Reprodux furniture.
- 90’s: a dip in the manufacturing sector as the demand for locally manufactured furniture was under threat from imports. The company moved back to commercial and marine contracts and bespoke commissions.
- The company then started importing some of the best brands of furniture from Europe.
- 2008 saw the company move from its iconic showroom in Sliema to a new, larger state of the art showroom in Qormi.
- The firm is today run by Sebastian de Giorgio, the grandson of Maurice de Giorgio.
- The original Board of Directors comprised of initially the Galea brothers and Mr. Maurice de Giorgio. It saw several changes over the years.
- Joinwell’s directors are backed up by a solid team of qualified and experienced designers, quality carpenters, logistic professionals and expert fitters, all contributing to the success of the Joinwell story.
Our Design Team
Each room layout proposed by Joinwell today is designed and planned to perfection by our designers and design consultants. A friendly bunch, with plenty of creative energy, a professional attitude and bags of drive – this is the team that will guide you in making the right choices for you, and ensuring that you are satisfied with the whole process till the end.
2016 G-Plan Exhibition
An exhibition celebrating G-Plan in Malta was set up at the Blitz arts centre in Valletta in October 2016. The exhibition was set up by Blitz – who provided the venue in collaboration with Joinwell who supplied the pieces for the display from their collection. The exhibition was opened on Notte Bianca, with a number of exhibits and room setups on display. The fascination with G-Plan is that it was very much a defining period in Malta when it comes to furniture, and many homes today still have G Plan furniture – still functional and in good condition 50 years on.
Photography by Alexandra Pace.
Find out more
Download our recent newsletter and other publications we’ve released here